Creating Sustainable Communities
Bellway appreciates that building communities is about more than bricks and mortar. Through our broad base of expertise and the skills of our people we can deliver most aspects of development.
Our schemes cover private housing, affordable housing, mixed-use and mixed tenure developments. In bringing these schemes forward we aim to improve movement within these extended communities and incorporate recreational and community facilities. We work with local partners to bring added value to our development schemes which include employment and training opportunities for local people. In short, we deliver all the ingredients to create truly sustainable communities.
The way in which we plan places has a significant impact upon their social and economic fortunes, whether it is the regeneration of an existing community or the development of a new community.
The successful integration of buildings, transport routes and landscapes as part of a new development lies at the heart of creating a sustainable community. The central tenets of our approach are specifically to:
- Create a diverse environment with its own identity, offering a range of uses and experiences;
- Design public realm which prioritises the pedestrian over the car and which promotes the extension of existing routes to establish accessible layouts;
- Create a strong definition between public and private spaces;
- Integrate our proposals in such a manner as to enhance and preserve the local environment;
- Design building structures incorporating a diversity of forms to reflect a rich variety of home types.